|Object Name||Flower, Wire|
Furnishings and Accessories
|Category||10: Unclassifiable Artifacts|
|Sub-category||Need to Classify|
Wire flowers in pink beads, gold ribbon - printed at bottom of paper to which they are attached "Made by:Lorna Farrington 12, Frances Donateli 11, and Darlene Charlong 10 at Silverdale School. June 1943. Teacher: Mr. O.K. Bennett."
Picture available on index card
|Provenance||Subjects such as math and language arts receive a lot of emphasis in school, as they should, but creative subjects such as arts and crafts are equally important and are also the highlight of the school day for many students. This school craft is a beaded wire bouquet which is fastened with a gold ribbon and pinned onto pink paper. It is not only beautiful, but holds a lot of Mission history in its finest details. It was made in June of 1943 by Lorna Farrington (age 12), Frances Donatelli (age 11), and Darlene Charlong (age 10) in Mr. O.K. Bennett's class at Silverdale Elementary. The school is one of Mission's oldest, having opened circa 1892-93, and the Donatelli family has attended it for generations. It all began in 1883 when Gaetano Donatelli left Italy in search of his runaway brother Guiseppe. The two of them reunited and eventually found work with the Canadian Pacific Railway in Winnipeg. From there they worked their way to British Columbia. In 1890, sixty-four hectares of land in Western Canada could be bought for five dollars, and Gaetano did just that on Wolfe Road while Guiseppe bought land at the corner of Manzer and Silverhill. Gaetano married Carminella Paduano in 1892, and they had eleven children together. There wouldn't be a school in Silverhill until 1916, so the children had to walk a fair distance from home to attend school in Silverdale. Guiseppe solved this by purchasing 64 hectares of Silverdale land and built a house across the field from his brother. Donatelli Avenue now runs between where the two farms were located, and Silverdale Elementary is also located on the very same road.|