Weddings & Courtship
|Category||3: Personal Artifacts|
|Sub-category||Clothing -- Outerwear|
|Donor||Mrs. Carrie Bligh|
Cream-coloured floor-length dress with short sleeves and v-neck collar. - beaded fringe on bottom of sleeves and collar - bows down front - Wedding dress of Carrie Melryn Bligh (1884-1980) - (Born in Quebec, Carrie Bligh, a retired elementary school teacher and active member of the St. Andrew's church and choir moved to Mission in the 1920s - she died at the age of 95).
|Provenance||This gown was worn by M. Bligh at her first wedding, which was most likely around the 1910s. During that decade, wedding dresses broke away from the far more conservative Victorian style of dress. Long sleeves became elbow-length and women favoured a V-neck instead of the previous decade's turtleneck-like collar. Full skirts became more relaxed as the empire line gained popularity over the S-curve. While corsets worn to create the S-curve created a fairly curvaceous hourglass shape, the empire line was created with a longer corset that went almost to the knees. This gave the wearer a high waistline and slim figure. Gathered skirts were left to hang on the body instead of being supported by petticoats, further displaying a slim figure. This change in fashion came with the change in transportation as cars were becoming more reliable and therefore out of town weddings more common. Weddings were often held at country clubs and estates during this time.|